I've been prepping this sewing project for awhile but finally finished it up this past weekend. I used the free Sorbetto Top pattern from Collette and turned it into a dress. I didn't want the center pleat to go all the way down so I created a drop waist seam and curved dress hem. It's a pullover so to give it more shape I used the leftover bias tape to make a long tie for the waist. The fit of this tank pattern is perfect and I didn't need to make any adjustments to it. I will be using it again for sure. The fabric is grey and aqua Floral Scribble Crinkle Chiffon by April Johnston for Joann. I'll be wearing this dress over a bright aqua slip because it's sheer. The drop waist technique will only drape well with very lightweight dress fabrics but you could always shorten the tank at the natural waist before creating the skirt portion.
I knit this Storyteller Beret for myself and named it after the color of the bulky handspun yarn I got from Lazy Pi Farm on etsy, Smoke and Embers. I finished it at the very beginning of summer but have not had the chance to wear it yet. I'm hoping October will be the lucky month. The yarn is ridiculously soft and it's a muted grey but still colorful at the same time. I have knit several berets with this pattern and I'm planning to publish it, but it could still be awhile. It's the perfect design for small amounts of bulky handspun art yarn. I also have a pullover sweater near completion that I can't wait to show off!
Here is my second annual birthday hat! This is the second summer that I bought Traveling Rhino's yarn from the Renegade craft fair in S.F. I might just have to make it a yearly tradition! I posted about my first one here. I tend to fall in love with a skein of yarn first, and then decide what it should become. I was smitten with the vibrant greens of this single ply heavy worsted weight yarn. It had exactly the right guage and texture for the free Caprifogliopattern by Thelma Egberts from Sea Of Knits. The fit of this hat is perfect and the details look way more complicated then they are. I recommend going up a needle size for just a bit more slouchiness and less hat hair.
I finished another blouse! Can you tell I am trying to pack in the handmade projects before school starts? Also my car has been broken for the past month and a half and is still not fixed. What a difference being stuck at home has on productivity.The pattern I used for this top is Simplicity 1915 and the fabric is another April Johnston design for Joann. It's a polyester crinkle chiffon. You can't see the crinkle effect in the photos but it gives the fabric a subtle texture. The only good thing about sewing with this slippery fabric is that it's synthetic so you can iron it to your hearts content in order to get those tiny hems to cooperate. I absolutely love the fit and drape of this shirt! One of my most successful sewing projects ever! I recommend this pattern and will definitely be using it again. It has so many details that make it fun but challenging to sew. The fit is perfect other than having to thread some thin elastic string through the neck edging to keep it from slipping off my shoulders.
Here is another sewing project using April Johnston fabric. It's lightweight ivory cotton printed with a metallic lavender crosshatch design. I used New Look 6025 and while I am very happy with my finished garment, I am not going to use this pattern again. It is one of those very easy patterns but it wasn't very well thought out in my opinion. If you can sew button tabs, you can certainly sew bust darts which this pattern lacks. Also there is no sleeve shaping and so you will get armpit bunching. The only reason it works on this top is because of the sleeve detail. I had to sew 2 sizes smaller than my normal pattern size and the neckline was still huge. So huge that I had to thread elastic string through the neck facing in order to keep it from sliding off my shoulders. It is also very long, definitely a true tunic length falling past my hips but not quite long enough to be a dress. If you are thinking about making this pattern I recommend you make the one with the tab sleeves and dress it up with gorgeous fabric and details.
This is my version of the Wiksten Tank pattern using a linen cotton blend fabric designed by April Johnston from Project Runway for Joann. The idea for this tank led to three different versions. First I drafted my own high-low tank pattern and added a peter pan collar detail, but it ended up being too short and pulled at my bust. Next, I bought the Wiksten pattern and made the size medium exactly as called for, pocket and all, but it was WAY too big and the pocket hit at a weird spot. Lastly, I used the Wiksten pattern again in size XS and instead of the pocket redid my original idea of the peter pan detail. I had to add two back neck darts to get it to lay flat. When you have such a high neck on a garment it needs to fit the natural curve of the body. The only solutions for this are to add neck darts, slice off a small portion off the center back pattern piece at the neck, or lower the neckline below the natural curve of your neck. I'm extremely happy with the result and I will definitely be making more Wiksten tanks, although I will alter the pattern at the back neck and probably make the pocket smaller. The fabric is gorgeous too. It's not often I find fabric I like, but I got lucky discovering the April Johnston line.